Saturday, March 12, 2011

Prayers for Japan

Before moving to Shizuoka we had been warned by several Japanese people that Shizuoka was due for a big earthquake called the tokai. It was always in the back of my mind that it could happen while we lived there. We did have one good sized earthquake, but nothing on the magnitude that is expected from the tokai. We often had earthquake readiness training in our neighborhood and were prepared with food and water. Luckily we left Japan without having to experience a massive earthquake.
After waking up the other morning, Eric's parents mentioned the large scale earthquake in Japan and my mind immediately assumed it was the tokai. But, it ended up in Sendai on a different fault line. When Eric and I lived in Misawa, Sendai had an 8.0 earthquake which we felt at home. It was like riding a wave inside the house for a good minute or two. Luckily there wasn't much damage from that earthquake in Sendai and neighboring towns. Therefor I didn't realize this earthquake would reek so much damage. Initially I avoided the news because it makes me emotional. So this afternoon I got online to read some headlines and see some pictures. Man, it makes me tear up. We've heard from all of our friends except Aya letting us know that they are ok. I hope Aya and family are safe. My heart goes out to everyone in Japan. To see devastation after devastation; earthquake, tsunami, and now power plant explosion.
Whenever I can, I'll be praying for our friends in Japan as well as Japan in general. If you read this, please say a prayer for them as well.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

We're praying for them, too. What a terrible situation. I'm so glad you're back here now. I would be worried sick if you still lived in Japan.