Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Balboa Park

Why hadn't Eric and I gone to Balboa Park on our many opportunities before kids? Good question because it would have been an easy day trip while visiting Eric's parents in Oceanside. Balboa Park (aside from the San Diego Zoo) is really not designed for kids. How many 3 and 5 year olds go in to the 17 museums there? Not my kids! We did however make the best of it and had a good day. We spent several hours at the Reuben H Fleet Science Center but felt that the girls would have enjoyed it more if they were several years older. I think Eric and I enjoyed all the displays more than the girls. We had a hard time looking at everything because the girls' were ready to move on to the next thing. Here are several pictures of inside the museum.

tinkering
Trying to make a 'T' with 4 pieces. Neither of us could figure it out!

The girls really liked this!

Chloe and Etta talked from the other side of the room, they were amazed!
We walked to the one free art museum, Timken Museum of Art. The kids complained the entire time we walked around but we enjoyed the small museum and appreciated the fine art. We even got to see a Rembrandt. After seeing art we saw a street performer doing some juggling and making jokes. The kids got a kick out of that. Then back to the science center for a kid lunch. The girls are enjoying playing the face game. We give them a feeling or mood and they are supposed to make that face. Here's Etta:
Angry
shy
upset with Chloe (and yes this is the correct face)
happy
Chloe wasn't particularly playing the game when she gave me this face: pouting face. She wanted the chips that were being withheld.
"I conquered daddy" face and eating chips.

The fountain in front of the science center
No trip is complete without the kids' jumping off something


Another highlight of the day was the Spanish Village Art Center. We didn't get the opportunity to go into many stores because they were small and had many breakable items. One store was a ceramic shop and as soon as I stepped inside I told Eric the pieces looked Japanese. I overheard two ladies speaking in English but with a noticeable Japanese accent. So, Eric walked over and started speaking Japanese. He was able to get in a good 5 or 10 minutes of practice before ushering the girls out of the store (without breaking anything!). That pretty much wrapped up our time in California. We left for Vegas shortly and I'm typing in a small temp living facility on base. We're moving into a furnished condo Friday until we have a house.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Oh my, I love the face game! Too cute!! Etta sure is expressive. :)

I've NEVER been to Balboa Park and I grew up in CA and went to San Diego at least a few times a year. I guess it's like growing up in NYC and never going to see the Statue of Liberty? :)

Glad you had fun!

Eric said...

good comparison Tara. If you go, just make sure they have kid stuff going on the day you go. I hear they have a great puppet theater too but never saw it. Oh well. You better start playing the face game now! He'll be a pro in a year.

Christy said...

oops, that was me not my hubby!

Tara said...

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure we'll be visiting San Diego again soon so Connor can see all the family.