Thursday, January 06, 2011

Little to Report
I know my realtor and the listing agent have been working several different angles the last 9 days, but I don't have much first hand information. The listing agent has spoken to several attorneys and have been told it's relatively an easy fix. For $1500-$2000 and about two weeks it could be fixed. I'm game, we've offered to split the cost with the realtors since the seller can't afford to pay an attorney. But, the realtors are trying to fix it without cost to us. Our realtor's ex father in law has been in real estate all his life and has his lawyer looking at all the paperwork to see if he can do anything. I've got my hopes on him! The realtors also have the title company's attorney office looking into it too.
We got copies of all the paperwork on the house so we can see all the liens and the ex husband actually put a lis pendens on the house which (from our understanding) means he's taking her to court for the house. But, on at least one of the pages, in 2005 he signed paperwork stating the house was her sole property. Sigh. I called a lawyer myself to get first hand information. He said that it's already in the Supreme Court and would have to file a motion. Based on the paperwork the case would get tossed out immediately, but it would take 6 to 8 weeks to completely fix the problem. Arrg. The lawyer also believes the ex husband is just doing this to piss off his ex wife because he has no claim on the house.
I'm still waiting on finality. I'm not 100% sure if we can fix this in time before the seller files for bankruptcy (next month then the house would be taken off the market for a time period before going into foreclosure). I don't feel ready to move on yet and I dread house hunting again since it has been so painful in the past. I just don't feel like I have enough strength emotionally to start all over again. Who would have thought it would be so hard to buy a house over a 3.5 month process? We have money...please sell us a house!

No comments: