Friday, June 18, 2010

Better Bentos Week Three
Since Etta's school had family day on Sunday, Monday was a day off. That means only four days of making bentos. I wanted to keep up the trend of making new things for the bento so here's what I made.

Tuesday: I hung out with Aya last week and she showed me pictures of the bentos she's made for Riko. She's lucky, she only has to make them once a week. But, I suppose that's what happens when you pay for private school! She gave me the idea for Tuesday's menu, makkuro kurosuke decorated salmon onigiri. If you are unfamiliar with them, you need to watch Totoro, one of our favorite Ghibli movies (and the girls' too). Accompanied with a quail egg decorated as a pig, steamed asparagus and sausages with Hello Kitty pictures (only in Japan would you see that!), carrots, and kiwi.
Wednesday: Since Chloe and I left for Atsugi Navy Base Tuesday afternoon, I had to make Etta's bento the day before. I made a wakame onigiri that looks like a frog, sausage and quail egg sunflowers, anpanman potato, veggies, and kiwi.
Thursday: I felt like going out of my comfort zone and trying something really Japanese. I made a thin omelet that I wanted to cover salmon and rice with but have a cute cut out. My first one fell apart and this one didn't hold together very well. You probably can't even tell what animal it's supposed to be, it's a bird. I was fortunate to find some blackberries at the Atsugi commissary so Etta got to eat those along with steamed veggies and an octopus shaped sausage.
Friday: I want to kick myself. That bento was on the table for about 10 minutes while both Etta and Chloe both stared at it. But, I got side tracked and forgot to take the picture before putting it in her backpack. I broke down and finally made the cat onigiri Etta's been asking for. I suppose that means I'll just have to make it again soon so I can get a picture and blog about it.
Hope you've found some inspiration in making a unique bento for yourself or a loved one.

4 comments:

Jen said...

You are so cool. :) I was inspired to make a pretty lunch plate for Jade, and she just looked at me like I was strange.

Also, I like the new look for your blog! Can you add a gadget for your labels?

Christy said...

That is so funny Jen. On the weekends here, the girls complain about not getting a bento now. Spoiled kids.
I added a labels gaget for you, hope that helps. I'm not the best at labeling though.

Vicki said...

The bentos always looks awesome! I don't know how you do it - looks like a ton of work for a single lunch. :)

A while back, I looked at a daycare for the kids that required that I provide all their food. I had to hold back the laughs. As if I have time for that!

They are now at a daycare where the Mom of the main provider runs a catering business and also makes all the kids food. It's great!

Christy said...

Vicki, if I worked full time like you I'd want to laugh as well at that suggestion. But, it's not a single lunch...I make Chloe's the same time so I don't have to worry about it come noon. If I paid for daycare, I'd hope they would provide the food too.