Sunday, May 30, 2010

Takoyaki with the Yamadas
Two weekends ago we went over to the Yamadas' home for dinner. It was the first time Eric has had the chance to see their new home since they moved into it late February. You can see some of the house in the background of the pictures, but to us it's a nontraditional Japanese home. Mainly because all the interior is wood and very modern looking. We love it!
Aya planned on making takoyaki for dinner. Tako means octopus and from the pictures below you'll noticed they are made into little balls. Here is the closest recipe to Aya's that I could find online. These were the best takoyaki I've had! I was holding Ann while Aya was in the kitchen so the guys were cooking the takoyaki. Eric was a quick learner.
Pushing batter into the center of each ball then turning them to cook evenly.

Nearly done

Eric was proud of his accomplishment in cooking

This is what the end product looks like. A drizzle of takoyaki sauce (kind of like a thick Worcestershire sauce), a drizzle of mayo, and then katsuobushi. We really didn't know what katsuobushi was until that night. We had heard it was fish flakes, but it's this dried fish that looks like wood and then shaved. When they are put on top of the takoyaki, they move around. It's so strange. Check out the link if you want to see what the fish looks like.

Eric and I got to cook the last round of takoyaki ourselves since Aya was feeding Ann. I'm glad to say I am competent in cooking takoyaki too. It was kind of fun. I think I'm going to see how much a machine costs. I'm sure I can find other uses for it too. Surely no matter where we end up living next we can get the majority of the ingredients at a local Asian market.
The girls are waiting for brownies and ice cream.

I just had to include this picture because Etta is looking like a little lady more and more each day.
So, if you were ever offered takoyaki, would you try it??

No comments: