Thursday, September 03, 2009

Atsugi-Speech Therapist Evaluation
It took us 2.5 hours to get to Atusugi due to rain and not really knowing how to get there. We still arrived early and were thankful that the ladies didn't have us wait. They went right into evaluation mode after sending Etta and Eric into an adjoining room with toys. They wanted to see Chloe act on her own without sister's help.
For the following 90 minutes two speech therapists asked me questions and observed Chloe. They witnessed two meltdowns which isn't to bad for 90 minutes. They had Chloe do tons of different activities to access her level of understanding, compliance, communication, and motor skills. They seemed to be impressed with her motor skills, they suggested she's at a three year old level. However, her language skills are lower than they should be for two years old. They say she should be using tons of two word sentences and several three word sentences. They do think she has a good ground work because she is now starting to ask. "what's that?" and "want daddy". Funny how all of a sudden she speaks two words when the day before she wouldn't. I'd have to say everyones prayers have been working because the change in Chloe's vocabulary has changed since the beginning of the week to now. If you can believe it!
The therapists couldn't give me a full rundown of what they think and what they can do for Chloe, yet. We have to send some paperwork back and wait for them to write up a report and have us back for a big meeting. Looks like they will be giving us resources to do a lot of things at home with Chloe to help with communication and suggestions for her behavior problems. They commented on her stubbornness and strongwilled behavior. They couldn't tell very well if she could understand some of the things they asked or if she was just being stubborn and didn't want to do what they asked of her. Chloe in typical form!
So now we wait several more weeks before we find out anything concrete. It's so hard to wait for answers. I talked with my mom after Chloe's evaluation and mentioned she had seen an ad on TV called Your Baby Can Read and how starting with your baby and following this program, your child will be reading at 2. My mom offered to get me the 30 day trial so I wanted to check out the website and read other reviews before doing anything rash. Especially with the $200 price tag. I found quite a few reviews about kids in Chloe's general description and how after a week they were speaking more and were able to recognize a handful of written words. Several reviews were saying their 4 and 5 year olds had reading levels of a second grader! I also found that amazon had it for a fraction of the price. Since it was so cheap and had fairly good reviews I decided to order myself and give it a shot. I don't think it could hurt Chloe, heck it could maybe help Etta even learn some new words. I'm kind of excited and will post our progress when we actually get it. However, I'll be happy if we get it at the end of the month when we go back to Yokota.
Well, we'll report back on the diagnosis of Chloe and what we will be able to do to help her. Thanks for all the prayers and words of encouragement. It's been so helpful to me!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am so happy to hear that Chloe is using more words! Hopefully they can still offer help.

Melissa Parent said...

We used YBCR with Ryden - it really does work. He kind of got bored with it around 18 months, but he'll still watch them now and then. Its amazing to see them "read" those words! I will email you with some tips on how to get the most out of it.

Jill said...

I have heard some mixed reviews on it. I have heard from some teachers that the kids are just memorizing the words, and struggle when they get to 1-2 grade because they have to basically relearn how to learn to read to read complex sentences. However, some parents totally love it. Can you ask your pediatrician?