Monday, August 17, 2009

Okinawa to Yokota
We could not get a place to stay our last night in Okinawa. Granted, our trip was last second so I understood no on-base places had a room for us. We really wanted to stay on Kadena AB since we had to show up at 4:15am to put our names in for the flight back to Yokota. But, the stars never aligned and a room was never available. Finally we looked for an off base hotel that wasn't too far away or expensive. You may ask why we stay at all military places, the answer is price. We spent about $50-$70 a night for cabins/rooms on the beach. On base places can cost as little as $40 a night. Compare that to an off base hotel for a minimum of $100 a night and of course we'd want to stay with military lodging. Eric made several phone calls and ended up finding a place outside Torii Station to stay (Royal Hotel). With the 10% off for military it came to $100 a night.
We arrive after playing at Round1 and were expecting a pretty small run down place (by the looks of the interior). It was dated but huge! Not a standard Japanese hotel. It had a family room with a leather sofa, flat screen TV, a bedroom with two queen beds, a full kitchen, and a newly renovated bathroom (about the size of Chloe's bedroom). Too bad we only got to stay until 3:45am the next day!
Eric and I got up at 3:15 that morning to get the last things put together and in the car. We waited until last second to wake the girls and put them in the car. It still took about 20 minutes to get to the base and then the base terminal. So, we were all pretty exhausted. Luckily there is a really nice kids playroom there so all the kids were in there playing. It took quite awhile to find out if we were going to make the plane or not, but we did! It was a pretty good flight to Iwakuni and then on to Yokota AB. We spent two nights there just to have some down time before the long haul back to Shizuoka.
We had time to do some shopping and to get Etta's first hair cut. It was long over due. She wasn't too excited about it. She wouldn't sit in the chair by herself, she had to sit in my lap. Unfortunately I couldn't get any pictures of the hair cut process. But, she did let me take pictures before leaving the salon.

He took off a lot more than I asked him to, but it still turned out really cute. Etta seems to like it as well. As a reward for sitting through the hair cut we went up and had some ice cream.
We also got a couple of packages in the mail, one of them being from my mom. She always has something for us! She had made the girls each a dress. A Disney princess dress for Chloe...
Of course Tinkerbell for Etta
That's it for this post. We're currently in Tokyo for three days. Etta had been sick all week long and was on the mend the day before the trip. Now, Chloe isn't doing too well. We've had a rough start to the trip and I'll tell you more about it in the next few days.


Vicki said...

Etta's hair is so adorable!! Maybe she'll start liking haircuts. Justice loved them after her first one. She will now tell me that her hair is in her eyes and she needs to go to the haircut store.

Jen said...

It's funny - I saw the post above this one first and I thought Etta's hair looked really it had gotten LONGER or something! Now I realize it's because it was cut. Tell her we love her new do!