Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Day at Miho

Ten miles from our house is a beach the kids can play at. The beaches from our house to this designated area for swimming has undercurrent and is too rough for people to swim. Eric did the bike ride with Etta last weekend for a father daughter day out. We decided to do it as a family Saturday morning since the weather was holding up. Unfortunately we had to ride 10 miles with a headwind so it took us an hour to go 10 miles. Etta may enjoy sitting in the bike seat for an hour but Chloe does not. I was the unlucky bearer of Chloe.
The girls were excited about the water and we couldn't change them into swimsuits fast enough. The beach is pretty rocky so it's not the most comfortable to walk on. Now that I know this, next time I will insist on the girls wearing crocks to the beach. Lesson learned. I also forgot to bring toys but lucked out because the girls were just excited to be in the water and play in the black sand. Here are several pictures of our hour or so in the water.

This was the ferry we took to Izu Peninsula three weekends ago. We were on the other side of the warf this time and got a good shot of it.
Oddly enough this spot is fenced in for little ones to play

digging a hole in the ground to make a little pool

Etta dirty yet cute

There are an amazing amount of shells on the beach and the girls just kept digging for them.

Playing in their little pool

Watching some boats rowing by

Where are you going Chloe?

Hmm, I'm going after her at this point after handing the camera to Eric. He stands back to take pictures.

At this point Chloe's head goes under water and she cant seem to get to higher ground. I take off running to get her. It didn't take more than a couple of seconds to get to her, but we were both slightly freaked out.

Surprisingly no screaming out of Chloe (which is a standard for her) and amazingly well behaved afterwards.

As for me, I'm glad I wore something that dried quickly.

Here's the bearer of towels

"I promise I'll be good the rest of the day mommy"
Shortly after Chloe's attempt to drown herself we hopped on our bikes and went three miles to a set of cafes (aka dives) right off the beach. We went their for the first time just after we moved her, then Eric and Etta went last weekend. It has a beautiful view of the ocean and reminds us of being in Hawaii or Thailand.
Here's Etta finishing her Oden sausages

The girls ate them so fast we ordered another pair, which of course they decided they didn't want as soon as they came to the table. Standard.
I ordered ramen and this is the typical ramen here in Japan. Other than the green sheet of nori, a chunk of pork, green onions, and the ramen noodles, I don't know what else is in it. But I'm currently reading Washoku so hopefully I'll be able to tell you what the swirly thing is in a couple of weeks.
I unfortunately didn't get a picture of Eric's cold Soba noodles, but it was a lot like the one he ate on the Izu trip, so you can look back at that if you'd like.

Chloe eats like a local, except makes an extreme mess while doing it.
As usual, we had to get ice cream while out. Etta's choice was ichigo (strawberry).
Chloe's was apricot and mango. She actually likes it, even if the picture suggests otherwise.
So cute
The staff are amazingly kind and took a picture of us all together.
Seven miles later and two girls asleep, we were home. Chloe continued her nap in her crib while Etta helped my make lemon meringue pie for company that night. More about our dinner guests in the next blog.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I think Chloe is going to be the dare devil between the two girls. I bet she will be a great swimmer in a few years ;)

Jen said...

I was cracking up about Chloe... the way you wrote about it and the photo progression was hilarious! Glad she was ok. I love the picture of you all as a family too. :)

Tara said...

Wow, what an adventure as usual! :) I'm glad Chloe is okay!