Saturday, May 02, 2009

Thai Dinner with Friends

1 Red Bell Pepper- $2.00
1 Orange- $2.00
Small package of green beans- $2.00
Basil- $6.00
Mint- $4.00
4 Little tomatoes- $3.00
Bulb of garlic- $2.00
Shrimp- $4.00
Dried Shrimp- $4.00
6 Rice wrappers- $3.00

Thai dinner with friends...priceless.
The girls playing before dinner
Riko
Rice seems to be the food of choice
The boys' table

Aya brought dessert, a roll cake. It was huge!
Aya with Riko and Chloe
Aya and Mayu
The girls love Hiro!

Riko and Daddy
Chloe looking cute
Hiro playing dress up too

That wasn't all I bought for dinner, other things like milk, eggs, and bean sprouts I found cheap. The things listed above are just shockingly expensive. I went to a store that carries more of a selection and their prices are steep. I left with one bag and my total was $50. I went to my local grocery store to pick up the daily essentials, which luckily only cost me about $5. It's crazy expensive here. I'm just thankful I had a good portion of Thai ingredients in my pantry and fridge. I can't imagine how much it would have all cost on the Japanese economy.
I ended up making: shrimp spring rolls, zucchini miso salad, green papya salad (with cucumber and carrots instead, since green papaya is not to be found), pork red curry, chicken green curry, and pad Thai. I dulled it down a lot, so it was mild to us. But they'd keep saying "karai" meaning spicy. But, I think everyone liked it. However, Aya just found out she is 7 weeks pregnant so she skipped everything but the bland stuff.
We're on a mini vacation during a 3 day Japanese holiday. I'll blog about it soon.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Wow! How fun! You sure put on a great spread. If your pad Thai recipe is yummy, please send it to me. :) I love pad Thai, but the one time I attempted to make it, it just wasn't quite the same.

Oh, and I don't think I've seen pictures of the back of Chloe's head before. She looks like she has some curls. :-) So cute!

Jill said...

Riko is such a beautiful little girl. . those eyes!! I have the same pattern sleep sack as Chloe!! Looks like a fun yummy night!!!