Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Etta's First Lunch at School

Etta started going to school until 1pm on Monday. So, it was her first day to pack a lunch. For the first month, the school has requested that we only send onigiri. Not a problem since one of Etta's favorite foods is salmon onigiri. Follow the link for more information, but in general it's like how sandwiches are to Americans. Super convenience food. So much so that you can buy onigiri at any convenience store, which you can come across about every half mile or so. When you make them yourself you can make them into the standard triangle or you can buy tons of different molds. Monday, I made Hello Kitty and a heart for her bento box. I even cut out nori to define the kitty and used some scrap booking punches for the hearts.
Etta was so excited Sunday night about her lunch, she couldn't go to sleep. She went to bed near 10pm, woke up in the middle of the night (which Eric proceeded to sleep the rest of the night with her), then still woke up at 7am. She wanted to carry her lunch bag but we insisted it stay in her back pack. Nothing but the wrappers came back.
If anyone is interested in learning how to make them, let me know and I can send you directions. It's easy and you can be creative with the inside fillings. Etta however is set on salmon and nothing else.

3 comments:

Jen said...

That is just too cool - I wouldn't be able to sleep either! :) I wonder if Jade would like something like that?

Tara said...

How cute!! You are such an awesome mommy!! I love it. :-)

Yeah, I'd be interested in how to make those. They sound tasty!

Vicki said...

That's awesome! I thought I was cool by cutting Justice's sandwiches into 4 triangles!