Monday, April 13, 2009

It's Official

In all time zones, I am now 30! The day was actually kind of bad for me...mentally anyways. Just the thought of being in my thirties was just darn depressing. It just seems so much older than being in my twenties. However, now that the day has passed I don't feel any different. I feel the same way I did a week ago which was when I was in my twenties. But then again, if I compare my life now from when I was twenty, tons of difference! (still in college, hadn't met Eric yet)
Turning thirty has been a time of reflection. Am I where I thought I would be? Have I accomplished as much as I had hoped for? Luckily, I hadn't even thought about these questions when I turned twenty so I can't say if I'm behind my goals or not. When I turn 40, I'm sure I'll be asking the same questions and actually have answers for them. I always knew I wanted to be a mom (not necessarily a stay at home mom) so I've got a few things checked off. Who would have thought I'd be in a completely different country (Japan to boot) with an entire family of red heads? Sometimes I feel my life is completely on the opposite spectrum than I had imagined, but still a good one.
Now I get to imagine what the next ten years of my life could look like. However, I don't know what it will look like in two years let alone ten. I attribute that to being married to a military man. But I can't say I don't like it, it's an adventure. From here on out, I'll look at the next ten years as an adventure that will be written before my eyes.
As for presents, Eric got me a pair of fifteen pound dumbbells (to see if we want to spend much more on a set of weights) plus some other presents that haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they will be here this week when we go to Yokota, otherwise I'll be celebrating my birthday again the beginning of June (thus the life of living oversees). He also surprised me with a gift in the afternoon, see video below. Eric's parents sent me a new book (how I love books) and a wine tote.

video

I have several friends with birthday shortly after me, don't despair. It may be a day of awkwardness, but in the end it's like every other day. Lets wait to 40 and see what we think then!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Happy B-Day!! I bet you still feel like a 20 year old, ;) that's all that matters!!

Tara said...

I like your thoughts! I'm looking forward to my 30's...I just think they'll be some of the best years of my life. My 20's were tough...lots of growing...I see my 30's as being way more stable.

You are so very blessed my friend! And you look quite young, so you should feel good about that. ;-)

Jamie said...

Christy!! I had no idea it was your birthday!! and I've seen you a ton the past few days and feel like a nutjob for never saying "happy birthday!" ..and an important birthday, too! :P wish i would've known.. or wish i was better at looking at the "birthdays" part of facebook :P hope it was good!

Jen said...

I agree with what Tara! I am excited to be 30 this year - I feel like there are so many good things in store for me, and I can leave all my troubles in my 20's!! :)