Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chloe's Stitches and Etta's Trip to the ER
Yes, you heard me right. But before getting to that I wanted to show you Chloe's right eyebrow with stitches. After the bandage came off I got to see the stitches for the first time. There are four total and looks to be sewn up nice. If that can even be possible. Eric took her back to the hospital to plastic surgery and they gave us the thumbs up. She's good until the stitches come out in a week.

Now we'll get today. We had planned a big trip to the zoo today since it's a Japanese holiday. I made up a bunch of salmon rice balls to eat at the zoo and the girls were excited since we'd been talking it up the last 24 hours. We decided to ride our bikes since the weather is so nice and to get a little exercise. Plus, the girls like riding the bike.
Since it would be my first time riding to the zoo Eric said he'd take the girls in the bike trailer. There are some good hills on the way there and back and he thought I could use less weight. We were heading out of our neighborhood and Eric took a downhill turn too fast and the bike trailer tipped to one side then flipped upside down and dragged several feet before coming to a stop. I saw everything since I was behind him. I thought that the girls' heads were being dragged along the pavement but luckily when I got to them there was no blood on either of the girls' heads. However, there was blood. Chloe had some on her but we couldn't find any cuts and then I saw Etta's hands were bloody. I picked her up, left my bike, Eric, and Chloe and ran home. I wanted to get a better look at her hands and saw one hand was a mess, particularly her middle finger. It looked like it had been dragged along the pavement and skin was missing. The blood topped it off so I decided she needed to go to the ER to get cleaned up and to see how we can help it heal better. Eric came in with Chloe and was so pissed at himself. He scooped Etta up and took her to the ER.
Not 90 minutes later Eric comes home with Etta all bandaged up.



Not sure why all three fingers are bandaged, I suppose it's just easier that way. Eric has to take her back to the hospital tomorrow to see plastic surgery. I'll be interested to see if they can do more for the finger or not. Wow, she missed Monday and Tuesday for the stomach bug (aka throwing up!), Wednesday's holiday, now tomorrow for her finger. It's been a tough week for her. And for us! I hope we'll have a lull in accidents and sickness for awhile. We could use an emotional (and physical) break.
I'm sure you're all wondering, yes the doctors/nurses remembered Eric from Sunday's visit. This time they got to work on Etta though.

8 comments:

Debbie'sDailyDose said...

Oh my goodness. Did she break her finger or was it just badly scraped? I sure hope you guys get a break soon...sounds like you need it. I'll be praying for an injury free week...

Vicki said...

Wow! You guys have definitely had a bad week! Poor kids, but at least they're resilient! So was it just scraped up badly?

Hope Eric doesn't feel too bad - accidents do happen. When Justice broke her wrist, we felt bad because we chose to go out to eat together before picking her up from the babysitter's house. If we had just gone there to pick her up right away, she wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Christy said...

I think we are doing the "what if" thing. Hopefully Eric doesn't beat himself up too badly, he took apart the trailer and put it away he's so upset. As for the finger, it's not broken. Just really scraped up. I'll post more if we get any more information from the hospital. I totally need a vacation for the kids!

Eden said...

Oh my. Your sweet babies. It has been a rough week for you. I'll keep you guys in prayer.
Miss you.

eden

Tara said...

Oh, you guys! How sad! I feel so bad for you...poor Eric. :-( Accidents definitely happen. If it makes him feel any better, Etta will probably never remember any of this when she's older!

The pictures of Chloe remind me of a picture of myself at her age...cuts over my eye. My parents thought it'd be funny to give me a drink of a beer since I already looked like a tough little biker (apparently). So we have a nice picture of me looking like I had just been in a bar fight, taking a swig of a Coors. I was probably 2! My parents were kooky...

Anyway, I am definitely praying that things get better for you!

Jill said...

I hope Etta and Chloe have some better days ahead. . and mom and dad too. Wishing for some relaxing and peaceful days ahead for you. I hope Etta's fingers are okay, keep us posted.

klstowe said...

Oh no! You guys have definitely had enough trouble to last a long time. Hopefully this is the last of it. I'm glad that they are both doing better and were not more seriously hurt. Wishing a speedy recovery and a calm road ahead ...

Jen said...

Your poor girls! Hopefully the weeks ahead are injury-free, for their sake, and your own sanity. :) At least you can be thankful for the speedy trips to the ER!!!