Saturday, February 21, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand?
You may have noticed a new gadget I put on the right hand side of my blog, On Christy's Nightstand. I don't blog as often about the books I read so I thought this gadget would be a nice way to keep everyone up to date. I'll update you on three of my more recent books that I found to be amazing.
Eric gave me two books for Christmas, both I hadn't heard of before. One of them turned out to be an amazing read. The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent is a story told from a young girls perspective after she and her family moves to Andover, Mass. not far from Salem. One of the brothers brings small pox with them. From there on out it is one battle to the next between her family and others in the town as well as their relatives. Friends are pitted against friends and families are pitted against family members when people are blamed to be witches. I don't want to spoil anymore in case you are interested in reading the book. Just as a warning, I cried several times. It's heart wrenching. Kathleen Kent happens to be a descendant of the family the book is about. You can tell by her writing that took a very long time researching this book. I felt as if I was there living it because it was so detailed. I encourage everyone to read this.

A friend of mine had loan me A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers when we first moved here. Not until a week ago did I start reading it. Wow, this has been one of the most gripping books I've ever read. Set about 30 years after the crucifixion of Jesus, a young Jewish Christian (Jew by race, Christian beliefs), Hadassah, who survived the destruction of Jerusalem and was sent to Rome as a slave. She ended up in the Valerian home, the richest merchant family in Rome. The book is about her and the family she tends. The parents are traditionalists in the eyes of Rome where their son (Marcus) and daughter (Julia) are all about their own pleasures and living for the day. Hadassah is believed to be a Jew by her owners because otherwise she might be sent to the arena to die. She plants seeds often among the family about her faith. The story deals with murder, abortion, idol worship, witchcraft and various forms of sexual depravity. I could not believe how the story ended and realized there were two more books of the series. Lucky for me my friend has the other two. I started on the next book as soon as I got it.

The second book in the series (Mark of the Lion) An Echo in the Darkness is centered around Marcus' journey to Palestine to find Hadassah's God as well as the illness Julia's consumed by. I can not give anymore information other than that because it would completely spoil the first books' ending. In summing up, I'd say the meaning behind this book is God's forgiveness regardless of what horrible sins you may have committed in your life. Very moving. I was so enamored by these books, I was able to get through them both this past week. I'm looking forward to reading the third once I get my hands on it.

What's on your nightstand? Or, have you read any good books lately?

3 comments:

The Khaje Family said...

I've read both Francine Rivers books and I absolutely love the first and third in the series. I liked the 2nd one, just not as much. I read them when I was about 13 and I dont' think I fully grasped all of the 2nd book, very well. I'm actually planning to read the trilogy again.

Never heard of the Heretic's Daughter. I'll have to look that one up, too.

How is everything? Miss you and the girls.

Tara said...

Those Francine Rivers books are on my nightstand too!! :-) I've read them before but I love them so much, I reread them every couple years probably. I'm on the book #3 right now.

I agree, these are some of the most gripping books! And you learn so much about history.

Jill said...

Brown Bear, Brown Bear(the kids book) is on my nightstand right now. You need to read Love and Other Impossible Pursuits by Ayelet Waldman. It is such an amazing book. Also An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A Memoir by Elizabeth McCracken is a beautiful book.