Sunday, January 11, 2009

Whoops

Earlier last week we had a really good evening with both the girls (aka not constant screaming from both of them). Etta and Chloe both wanted to go to bed early and the bedtime routine went along smoothly. Eric finished reading to Etta while I snuggled with Chloe, which is unusual for her. I put her down with no fussing and left her room with an empty milk bottle.
I came down the stairs thinking what a nice evening it was with the girls and wished every evening could be as pleasant as that, until my slipper slipped out from under me and I fell the rest of the way down the stairs. I have thought about falling down the stairs since moving here. That may sound a little pessimistic of me, but not really when you think of how steep the stairs are or how small each step is. Most Japanese people are small therefore with small feet, not like me with my 9.5 sized women feet. I've thought about, "What would happen to the girls if I fell down the stairs, died, and Eric wasn't around?" But most of the time I've just thought about falling and not much damage happening.
The last thing I remember is rounding the corner of the staircase, my foot coming out from under me, hearing Chloe's bottle hit at least two walls before hitting the ground, then knocking down the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. I don't recall anything about the actual fall, probably because it lasted a microsecond. I started moaning and crying and I heard Etta calling out for me from her bedroom sounding scared. Eric shortly came out of the family room and grabbed a hold of my shoulders. Then I felt like I was waking up from a nice deep sleep but with the feeling of someone holding onto my shoulders; yep I passed out. Eric asked if I had hit my head and I told him no since that wasn't the part of me hurting.
He brought me into the family room to sit down and I cried for a long time holding my arm, I was sure I had broken it. After a long while we decided to wait the rest of the evening to see if anything got worse, to make sure nothing was broken. We sat and watched a movie, yet I don't even remember what it was. I was traumatized.
I took a pain killer from when I threw out my back and had a rough night sleeping. I propped my arm up on my pillow for a little more comfort to little to no avail. The morning came and I did feel better, then I undressed finding the multitude of bruises from wrist to ankle on my right side. My wrist, forearm, elbow, top of my arm, hip, hamstring, and ankle all have war wounds. At least it's not summer time, otherwise most of them would be visible and Eric get a little of questioning looks. My most impressive bruise is on my hip, which is surprising because that isn't the sorest place on my body.
Now that I look back at it I can chuckle, but also sit wondering when it will happen again. My feet are too cold without slippers, but at the same time are a little slippery for the stairs.

7 comments:

klstowe said...

Oh no! Ouch. That's scary :( I'm sorry to hear you got injured but glad nothing was broken and that you are feeling a bit better. My sister had a similar experience with slippers and stairs in her house, but not as bad. Luckily she was not hurt but she bought a new pair of slippers that have the rubber non-slip soles. Don't know if they have those there or maybe some kind of non-slip covering to put on the stairs? Take care and feel better soon!

Jen said...

Oh my gosh! I am glad you're doing well enough to post about it! Lucky for you Eric was there to take care of you. Dan got hurt really bad yesterday, so now I am taking care of Jade AND Dan. I will post about his incident shortly...

Tara said...

Oh you poor girl!! That's scary! I'm so glad you're okay and nothing was broken. The idea of getting some kind of non-slip covering is a good one.

Pam said...

Like Mother, like daughter? First your ring, now a fall? Quit imitating me!!! At least you didn't break anything. I'm sure if you would have been close to the base, Eric would have had you over there in a hurry. You didn't tell me on the phone just how bad of fall you took....Love you.

Debbie'sDailyDose said...

My goodness...I'm sorry to hear about your nasty spill down the stairs. Thank the Lord that you are ok and that you didn't break any bones. Take care of yourself...and no more falls :o)

Laura said...

I will be praying you heal quickly. PTL for no breaks! Should we start calling you Grace? I taught Claira how to call her dad at a young age in case anything happen to me. I told her if I was sleeping and she could not wake me up to call him.

Jill said...

Oh goodness!! I am glad you are okay. Did you have some wine that night? ;)