Monday, November 10, 2008

Movie Monday
It's Tuesday my time but for all those folks in the states it's still Monday. I haven't done one of these posts in a very long time. For a specific reason, we don't see movies anymore. It's sad, but since the arrival in Japan we have no access to blockbuster.com or anything of the likes. We could rent a movie from a local store, but it wouldn't work on our DVD player. We'd need one that is multi region, all region, or region free to watch a local movie. It just breaks my heart. We content ourselves with our old DVDs which is very rare since most of our time we are watching something for the kids.
For Eric's birthday last month we ordered a set of movies by Hayao Miyazaki who is famous here in Japan for all the Japanimation movies he made mainly in the 80's. The girls in particular love My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. So if you are looking for a fun Japanese movie for your kids to watch, we recommend those two. Now we are working through the rest of the movies. Many of them we can watch with the girls but others are for just Daddy and I.
The other night Eric put on Pom Poko which is one I wasn't familiar with. Let's just say it was one of the strangest movies I've ever seen in my life. It's about a group of raccoons that are being pushed out of their habitat by the housing boom. These raccoons get together and want to stop the development. Many of these raccoons can transform into other things and they are practicing for months to do something to halt the development. It's extremely strange to see these raccoons party, wear clothes, and practice transformation. There was a lot of laughing involved in the movie and a lot of furrowed brows in confusion. I'm not sure I would recommend it to everyone, I think it's really based on Japanese folklore so us foreigners may just have a hard time understanding the concepts behind it. However, it does have a good storyline about development and the overall impact on nature and the animals. Not sure if Pom Poko will be one of our regulars since it's just not as good as Totoro or Kiki, but at least I can say I've seen a new movie (new in relative sense)!

No comments: