Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Finally...Our House
Yes, we've been in our house for over a month now and I'm just getting the pictures on the blog. It took awhile to get the house even put together but it's hard to keep it in photo quality since I have a 1 year old and two year old eager to undo anything I just cleaned. So, I have pictures from the outside in,minus the upstairs (our bedrooms). Some day, I'll get pictures of them. First they have to be organized. The girls rooms are currently barren minus the beds and clothes.
Let me start off by saying that we live in the Beverly Hills of Shizuoka, Japan. That doesn't mean much once you've seen the house. But, to the every day Japanese person our place is huge and in the best neighborhood in the city. The last part I can agree on.
Our neighborhood is on a hill and our side of the street the homes sit high from the street. So, you park in a little carport under the house. Our last house we had to go down stairs to get to, this time, we have to go up! We even get a little spot to park bikes and what not under the stairwell. Very convenient.

Here's Eric unloading our booty from our most recent trip to Yokota AB


I forgot to take a picture just outside our front door, but it's nothing remarkable. But it does have a little bistro table for two. Of course Eric and I don't get relaxing moments to share out there. My only time sitting at the table is waiting for Etta to actually proceed into the house.
This is the entryway for the house. All houses are set up like this. You take your shoes off and put them in the cabinet then step up onto the wood without shoes. The closed door is to the kitchen. I didn't add any pictures of the kitchen because of my previous post. So, check the link if you want a peak.

If you stand in the kitchen you see out little dining area. Even our 4 seater table seems big for the space. The high chair doesn't help! Just out those doors is our patio which is pictured below.

The family room connects to the dining room. It's not very big, but since it's not cluttered with toys (like our last house) it seems so much bigger.

Here's another angle of the family room.

The toy/guest bedroom is connected to the family room. It's a tatami room so you actually step up into the room. No food or drink allowed in there! Etta just happened to run by while I was taking the photo. Thought it was too cute to delete.


All of those rooms are closed off from the hallway and upstairs. The purpose is for heating and cooling only a small area at a time to save money. Electricity costs a lot here. On the other side of the family room and toy room is a hallway, toilet room, wash room, and shower room.

I'm standing in the shower room looking down the hall


You can kind of see the wash room and the shower room, but not well. The shower room is awesome. You can take a shower and bath in this room and everything is water proof. The kids love it.


Here is a better picture of the wash room. Eric put up the medicine cabinet recently and has helped in the lack of storage problem. Going from two bathrooms to one has been a big change.


Here's the actual shower room. There is a little pad above the tub and with a push of a button hot water comes out and fills the tub. Japanese are big on baths.

Here's the toilet room. It's pretty standard that the toilet is separate from everything else. Just above the toilet paper dispenser there is a pad for all the bidet options. Wash your bum, girly parts, and even a dryer. You'll also notice on top of the toilet is a little sink. When you flush water goes through that before going into the tank. Extra use of the toilet water. My favorite part of the toilet room, is the heated toilet seat (except for when Chloe goes in and turns it to super hot).
Here are our narrow stairs that leads to the second floor where you can find our bedroom, the girl's room, and the second toilet. We are high class, we have a toilet on the second floor!
Here's our back patio and our dryer, I mean our clothes hanging to dry. You'll notice lots of bubble toys on the patio.

Here's a view of the back yard from the other end of the house. We are lucky to have this much. Seems uncommon to have any type of yard in Japan.
Well, that's about it for now. Tomorrow I will update you on my first week of Sensa. Hope you enjoyed our Japanese house!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Your house looks great!!! I love clothes drying on the patio. It must be warm enough in Japan to dry them.

Tara said...

The house is lovely!! What a neat bathtub too...just push a button and it fills with hot water---I need one of those! :-)

Christy said...

It certainly is warm, but it's cooling off quickly and the clothes are all stiff now. Yuck. The bathtubs here are amazing. I wish American had several of the cool things Japanese have!

Debbie'sDailyDose said...

Wow, all the different rooms for bath, toilet and washing... interesting and a bit fancy! Love all the pics.

Jen said...

I love your house! It's nice that you have a yard too...I can just imagine my tortoises having a great time with all that lush vegetation. That play room is great too! I wish I had something like that for Jade - her toys are EVERYWHERE.

Stacy B. said...

What can I say but WOW. Your house is huge and gorgeous. Ours was cement-like although the tatami rooms are always nice. And yes, the yard is a rarity, so enjoy!!! Seriously, every time I read your blog I get homesick for Japan.