Sunday, September 14, 2008

What's On Your Nightstand?

Wow, how long has it been since I've done one of these posts? Too long! I've been reading whatever I can get my hands on. When I was at Eric's parents house I was able to pick up several books by authors I enjoy reading. I have since read them all and several more we picked up at the BX. I have two books I am currently reading. One for pleasure and one for knowledge.
My pleasure reading is a sequel from Jude Deveraux called Return to Summerhouse. It's not realistic, like all of her books. But, it's an easy fun read which I like after long days of taking care of the girls. The premise is the same as the first book. Three women who do not know each other go to a home in Maine on the request of their therapist. They each have had something traumatic happen to them and have not been able to move on. So, they are supposed to help each other get past their experience. But there is more, someone in the town has the ability to send them back to anytime they want for three weeks to change anything in their life for the better. The book is about their journey in changing their lives. I'm almost done, only 25 more pages to go. If you ever come across it, it's a good read for chic lit.

My reading for knowledge is Boundaries With Kids by Dr's Cloud and Townsend. Boy do I need this book. Since we've been at Yokota AB for so long, I was able to start going to PWOC (just like in Monterey) a few weeks ago. We had a kick off dinner two weeks ago, our first meeting last week to pick our study (Bad Girls of the Bible, Boundaries With Kids, and one on Spiritual Gifts. Since I only have one more PWOC meeting I can attend, I choose the Boundaries With Kids. I knew I could read the rest of it myself and do the study guide and get a lot out of it. If I were to do the spiritual gift study (which I really need to do), I would get more out of it if I was actually participating in a group. Oh well, next time.
I have finished the first chapter and accompanying study guide and it focuses on parenting now for the future. Not parenting for the now. So, basically think of how you want your kids to be in the future and you need to adjust how you are parenting to reach those goals. Obviously the first chapter just opens up the idea of the book, but I'm interested in reading more and applying it, especially with Miss Etta. She's our demanding one.


Well, I would write more, but Chloe is up and I need to get the Yakisoba started for dinner. Let me know what you are reading and if you like it. I love books.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I have lots of books on my nightstand, but I just haven't had time to read them. :) I do get Family Circle and Parents magazines and like to read those quite a bit. I especially love to pull out the recipes.

Jen said...

Bananaroni Pizza from the Parents magazine is easy and Jade really likes it!
(waffle topped with strawberry jam and banana slices, then cut like a pizza)

You should read "Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea"...I loved it!