Friday, September 26, 2008

8 Days Without Internet - Oh My!
I decided to start a post while waiting for the internet to be hooked up. So, this could be long or short depending if I get depressed about having the computer on without internet. To our dismay, no one has an un-secure wireless signal around our house. Its ok, so far we've kept extremely busy unpacking the house. Let's start from the beginning of the move.
Eric packed out the van the day before the move. Good thing because he spent a lot of time figuring out how to get all the stuff we acquired in a month into one vehicle. It was funny and we didn't take pictures of it! Imagine three area rugs, a Little Tikes wagon, three suitcases, stroller, and tons of bags of groceries. I'm surprised we weren't sitting with stuff in our laps. The drive was pleasant. It took three hours instead of the six last time and the girls either napped our watched Little Einstein's the entire time. So peaceful! Instead of going straight to our house we had to sign paperwork and go over the lease. How painful. It took over two hours. It's mainly because Japanese isn't our first language and we had to have someone help with the translation. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but both the girls were tired, hungry, and wanted to run around after being in the car for three hours. Finally we made it to the house and the girls were so excited about running around the place. It took us a long time just to unload all the stuff from the van and find places for it.
The next morning at 7:45 the big truck pulled up with all our stuff. Let me just comment that the Japanese movers are probably the quickest, most polite, and thorough movers we ever have. Only one thing was broken and of course it was the brand new kitchen cart we ordered right before we moved. Sigh! Also, we just have way more stuff than we need. Trying to fit American stuff in a small space doesn't work well. All the bedrooms are on the second floor and the staircase is very steep. So, getting our queen bed up there is basically impossible. They had to take it to the backyard, stand on the raised patio, plus a ladder, and hand it up to some guys upstairs. Let's just say our mattress is super heavy, I felt horrible. Yet, we didn't get a picture of it! I wish I knew Japanese curse words, I'm sure they were saying them under their breath.
The day our stuff arrived was a bit overwhelming. I felt like we weren't accomplishing anything but we just chipped away by working on something all the time. It's been a few days now and the place is fully functional. Eric has been a champ and working on the house while I entertain the kids. I try to move them to a part of the house that needs work and let them play. It's so hard to organize with two pairs of hands working on just the opposite.
We went to our first Japanese church. I was surprised to see as many westerners as we did. Many of them are missionaries with the Navigator group through the Shizuoka University here (not the school Eric will be going to). Many of the locals at church speak English which is a blessing for me. Hopefully I'll be able to speak Japanese by the time we move here. Signing Christian songs in Japanese is just a little beyond me, but it was neat signing Amazing Grace in Japanese. I knew the song and could read the words but wouldn't understand it otherwise.
One American family at church has several kids and they recommended us doing the preschool applications for Etta this week. The school year starts in April but it turns out the public schools will take applications this week only for the next school year. Of course the preschool is just a mile down the road and everyone applies there and not everyone makes it in. We went there today to get the application and the lottery will be at the end of October. There is also a really nice public preschool a good 25 minute bike ride away and we won't have a problem getting her in. Oh, the decisions. Convenience versus an overall better school further away. We'll have to look around and private ones just in case too. We need to get her into daycare for several days a week so she gets used to hearing Japanese, otherwise she may be pretty freaked out starting preschool. Heck, I would be!
Ok, I've been rambling for a long time now. Tons of things to blog about soon. Our first trip to the zoo with my new friend Aya and her daughter Riko, pictures of the house, our first dinner guests, my teaching lessons starting next week, and my upcoming permanent hair straightener. All and more to come! Missed you all the last 8 days!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I am happy you made it to your house ok and finally got internet! Isn't it crazy how dependant we are on something that didn't exist when we were kids?! We'd love to see pictures of your house whenever you get it all in order...

Debbie'sDailyDose said...

Wow, you probably could write a book on the in's and out's (and tips) for moving and doing it with kids...I'm glad you all are finally in your house. So, I can't wait to hear about this permanent straightener...can't wait to see pics of the house and other fun stuff in Japan :o) Take care...

klstowe said...

Hi there! Glad to hear you are finally getting into your house -- it's been a long journey! Hope the rest of the settling in goes smoothly :)

Vicki said...

Wonderful to hear from you! I've been anxiously awaiting a post! It sounds like you guys are in good shape and I'm glad you're all safe and sound. I look forward to hearing more soon!

The Khaje Khronicles said...

I'm so glad to hear that you made it into your new home! It's tough going without internet.

Glad you got to go to a Japanese church and that some of the attendees speak English. What a blessing!

Hair straightener?! I love your curly wavy hair! I'm planning to get my hair permed soon. I've had my hair permed twice in my life and that's when I was the happiest with my hair! lol

Miss you.