Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hello From Yokota AB
We arrived yesterday afternoon and finally got to an on base apartment several hours later. It's three bedroom, two bath, fully equipped kitchen and laundry room. The only downside, it's on the other side of the base so the girls and I can't walk to the commissary, BX, or the pool. Not to mention no internet here. How am I blogging? I'm stealing a signal! Until we have a car, I'm kind of stuck with the kids and the single stroller. On this side of the flight line, we have the hospital, the movie theater, and on base housing. I may be looking at upcoming movies and see if anything plays during the afternoon. Neither girls have been to a movie so now may be a good chance. I can't see it going well for Chloe though.
As for the flight. Oh it was long. We flew out of Sea Tac Airport and had to be there three hours early. We ended up staying at the airport's USO for at least an hour. They had a kids room (with a pack n play and movies playing), a dining area with complimentary food and drinks, plus a lounge with computers and printers. Lots of people were sleeping, so I assume they had come on the earlier flight or were trying to fly Space A. For all those non military folks, that means trying to fly without orders and only costs $25. We still had a few minutes to kill after going through security and was told about a play area for kids. It's one of those soft play areas with slides and tunnels. They got to play for 20 minutes and hated to leave, but we had a 10 hour flight ahead of us.
I have to say the girls could have been worse. First off, I lost my wipe container somewhere in between the hotel and the airplane. I prayed for no poop from both the girls. That was way to much to ask. Chloe napped at the beginning and the end of the flight, but not nearly as much as she's used too. Which meant she was cranky most of the time. Plus, she refused to eat everything but our first meal. She survived on milk! At one point in time of the flight Etta wanted to sit in my lap therefore Eric took Chloe. I didn't see it, but I heard her fall and hit her head. Next thing I know Eric is covered in Chloe throw up. Oh yeah, we were only half way through the flight and he didn't have a back up shirt with him. So, he washed his shirt in the bathroom and was wet for the last half of the flight.
Etta seemed to do better. She was able to keep entertained with food, coloring, playdoh, and movies. She didn't fall asleep until the last 20 minutes of the flight (just like the light from San Diego to Seattle). Lets just say, we had extremely grumpy and sleepy kids all afternoon.
Chloe decided to wake up at midnight last night. She was still in the same outfit and I knew she had a pretty wet diaper. I figured I could change her and see if she'd eat anything. It had been forever since she actually ate food. It was a no go and of course Etta woke up shortly afterwards. So, I was up at midnight local time and had about 4 hours of sleep. I stayed up until 4am and switched out with Eric. I got a little more sleep before he needed to get ready to start his day. He has to start in processing and tons of other stuff. We need drivers licenses, a PO Box, figure out health coverage in the Japanese economy, cell phones, and stuff like that. Hope it doesn't take more than a couple of days. We are excited to get to Shizuoka and start looking for a house. Sounds like we have several to look at when we get there. How exciting! Now for getting adjusted to the time difference. Pray the girls get back onto a decent schedule. I don't want to sleep in shifts!

5 comments:

Debbie'sDailyDose said...

I'm so glad you all made it safely to Japan. I can't imagine flying for so many hours with 2 young children...Can't wait to hear of all your adventures as time goes by.

Laura said...

Wow! You guys can make it through anything now. Hopefully that will be your toughest challenge. Praise God for a safe trip! It's great to know that you all made it safely.

Jill said...

Glad you made it to Japan safely!!Keep us updated!!

Tara said...

I'm so glad you made it there safely!

Stacy said...

Wow, what a flight but...you made it to Japan! Yeah! It sounds like things are working out quickly for you. Jetlag is tough. Try to get outside when the sun is up and try to push naps and meals a half hour or an hour closer to Japan time every day or two if you (and the girls) can handle it. May God be with you!