Monday, May 12, 2008

Movie Mondays

Oh, this is long overdue. I've seen lots of movies since last writing but remembering them all is going to be difficult. This could be a long one if I go into each one or really short and just talk about the ones I've recently seen. So, lets see where it ends up.
Lets start with the best. We watched 27 Dresses the other night and that has been the best movie we've seen in awhile. We thought it was cute, funny, but reminded us of How To Loose a Guy in 10 Days. It even uses a line almost verbatim to the Kate Hudson movie. But, overall pleasant movie and we give thumbs up on this one. The only thing that was annoying was the main character's sister. Eric couldn't stand her. Acting was a little bad on her part, but she played the pretty sister role well.
We also watch Cloverfield that night after the kids went to sleep. It was really short, about an hour and fifteen minutes not including credits. The movie is basically all shot from a hand held video camera from a guy filming his best friend's going away party until some monster attacks New York. It's not bad, but it leaves the viewer to come up with their own ending. Also, to keep the plot moving the characters make stupid (beyond stupid) decisions. Oh well, not two thumbs up from us. More of a let down than anything.
Last week Eric and I ended up watching Blade Runner in bed. We love our new laptop! Back to Blade Runner, this is no means a new movie but one Eric and I hadn't sat and watched completely before. We have to admit that this movie was great for it's day, and still not bad. It's just so dark and strange. We laughed at the end because he never called for back up. Hello, you are in the future and can easily call for help! Anyway, we think it's two thumbs up based on when it was made. If it was a current movie we'd just say ehhh. By the way Daryl Hannah is just plain freaky in this movie, plus she can't act.
On to our next movies. We wanted to see some classic movies before heading over to Japan where it will be more difficult to watch. I've rented several from the local library. Ok, I know I've seen these two movies when I was younger but can't remember anything about them. As a family we've seen Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Who wouldn't love Julie Andrews after watching Mary Poppins and Sound of Music? We liked Mary Poppins more, maybe because of the fantasy aspect of it. Sound of Music was great until the wedding, then it becomes dark and all about the German take over. It could have been a lot shorter than three hours! Eric particularly asked for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which I was not familiar with but is another Dick Van Dyke movie. It's another three hour long movie than can be a lot shorter but Etta keeps asking for "Chitty Bang Bang" so she really enjoys it. It's corny, but entertaining at the same time. As long as you like old school musicals, you'll like these three movies. I'd suggest seeing them in the order that I wrote them.
What have you seen lately? Do you recommend them? Do you have any classics that you suggest us watching? We're on the look out.

6 comments:

Debbie'sDailyDose said...

Some classics that I like...I think they are all Disney movies, but not sure. I like Newsies, Summer Magic, and The Happiest Millionaire. They are all musical type movies. If you watch any of them, let me know what you think.

Jill said...

I have not seen any new movies, okay any movies, for awhile, but we are watching the three Indiana Jones movie this weekend to get ready for the new on.

Jill said...

oops the last word should be one.

Christy said...

Oh, the new Indiana Jones looks good! You'll have to let me know how it is. Debbie, I have those three on our blockbuster list so hopefully we can see them soon. Etta seems to like musicals.

Just the Sous Chef said...

27 Dresses is already on video?! Wow, it has really been a long time since I have been to a movie theater. I want to watch that one, not sure hubby will be up for it tho. :)

Just the Sous Chef said...

oh, video ... how old do I sound? I mean, DVD! LOL!