Monday, May 05, 2008

Dairy Free?!?!

Chloe has been increasingly whinnier and gassier than ever these last few weeks and someone told me that maybe she's lactose intolerant. Hmmm, she doesn't seem to want to drink formula but she gets tons of dairy throughout the day. I use butter and cheese in most of her baby foods and she eats yogurt darn near every meal. Come evening time she is gassy beyond belief and screams uncontrollably. I have always said she's just a grumpy baby, but maybe there is more to it. I thought she would have grown out of this along time ago, but she is approaching 10 months which has made me worry. Her well appointment is this Friday and I'll be talking to the doctor about the possibility of an allergy to either dairy or gluten.
Do any of you have experience with any food allergies? Please tell me if it sounds like that's Chloe's problem or if you think it's just her. I've switched over to Similac Soy Formula and she is drinking more than ever. We'll be taking a trip to Trader Joe's to pick up soy yogurt this afternoon. Hopefully I'll notice a difference in her by the end of this week. If not, hopefully the doctor has a recommendation. I just called and of course the doctor's office doesn't do allergy tests there, it would have to be a referral. Ohhh, it's endless running from one doctor to another.
I just can't imagine myself going dairy free. I love cheese too much. But, if she ends up being lactose intolerant I wonder if it's just easier to have the entire family go dairy free or just make adjustments to her diet? Things to ponder until we find out more information. Wish us luck and say a prayer or two.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Good luck! It sounds like it could be a dairy or celiac issue, but have you thought of trying goat's milk? Goat's milk is the closest to human breast milk out of any other animal milk. Cow milk does not even come close. Goat milk is a lot easier to digest. I like it, and goat cheese too. I personally would give that a try for your family and see if it helps.

There is a book that I love that you might want to check out (if you haven't already). It's called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. VERY good book! I highly recommend it; I read the whole thing in one sitting, it was so interesting. It's a combination nutrition book/cook book with recipes.

Christy said...

Thanks so much Tara, I'll check it out. If it turns out not to be a dairy issue I'm hoping that a few changes to her diet is all that's needed. Maybe it's just too hard on her tummy and goats milk would be a good alternative for her. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Cams said...

We don't have allergies, but my son's skin is very sensitive to the acid in tomatoes, oranges, lemons. When he'd get it on his hands, arms, face it would break out in a painful rash. We used avoidance for him.
Since I too was waiting for a refferal at the time, we called it an allergy so that I could explain to him why he wasn't getting those foods anymore. After the allergy test came up negative, we learned about how sensitive skin can react as he was. No allergy, but I still take precautions with his food. The rest of us still enjoy ours though.
I wish you well in deciding what works best for your family and finding out what you can for Chloe!