Thursday, April 17, 2008

What's On Your Nightstand?
This one has been long overdue, but I kind of forgot about it over vacation. One of my friends had asked me, "What's on your nightstand?" and reminded me I needed to post about my most recent book. I had finished two books while on vacation (nothing worth mentioning) and Eric had suggested picking out another book for the return flight. We were at Yokota AB the last night we were in Japan so we browsed the book section of the BX. After about 15 minutes Eric asked if I had found one yet and I told him I'll know it when I see it. I went in a little further to the not so new or famous books and there it was...Puss 'n Cahoots. It was bright pink and caught my attention. Ok, I've read tons of books from this series so it wasn't just the pink that caught my eye.If you aren't familiar with the series, Sneaky Pie Brown is the author's cat and I think the author draws a lot of inspiration from her cat. In the series all the animals play a major role and they have conversations in italics. It's fun because it's different and I can actually envision these animals conversing with each other. This particular book was set at a horse show so those that really like horses might get into the book but otherwise I found it a little on the dull side for Rita Mae Brown. I skimmed through several of her older books to jolt my memory and my favorite one so far is Pawing Through the Past. They are likable books and I have read many of them in no particular order. So, if you want to jump in the middle you won't be completely lost.
What's on your nightstand and do you recommend it?

4 comments:

Cams said...

I don't have a book on my nightstand right now besides my scriptures.
I have just finished two others though.
1. The 5 Love Languages of Children. AWESOME book. I read it because I knew about the marriage book and wanted to apply it to my children. Easy read, lots of insight.
2.Sun Coast Chronicles, 4 books by Terri Blackstock. I just recently found her at the library as I was browsing. Mystery, little romance (clean) and Christian centered. I would recommend them too.
Let me know if you ever read one!

Tara said...

I just read The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It was really good if you're into that whole story about King Henry and all his wives. It can be a little racy at parts, but as a whole I thought it was extremely well written and very interesting. The characters really come to life and it's a good history lesson.

Christy said...

The Other Boleyn Girl was the other book I was looking at. I bet it is a good read. Did you read the book that precedes it?

Tara said...

Not yet. I just went to the library to look for it but it wasn't available. I didn't realize there were other books in the series. The librarian told me she was in the middle of reading the Other Boleyn Girl and was loving it.