Thursday, February 21, 2008

What's On Your Nightstand?
I need to do a weekly blog on books. I go through a lot of them and I know a bunch of you like to read too. Some of you read what I like to read and then I'm sure there are some obscure books you read that I've never heard of. So, this is the place to talk about them.
Right now I'm in the process of reading two different things. One of the books is called Parenting by THE BOOK: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child by John Rosemond. Dave and Maggi (Eric's parents) had given this to me for Christmas. Maggi mentioned that the author also has a column in their San Diego newspaper about families and raising kids. First off, he is a psychologist and he attributes his profession to the decline in American families and children since the 60's. In the 1960s, American parents stopped listening to their elders when it came to child rearing and began listening instead to professional experts. Since then, raising children has become full with anxiety, stress, and frustration. John Rosemond says the solution lies in raising children according to biblical principles, the same principles that guided parents successfully for hundreds of years. They worked then, and it can still work now. Certain things he has said have opened my eyes and explains some of my misconceptions about raising kids. I'm going back to the basics and trying to be a better parent (ie one that follows scripture).

The other book I'm going through is actually a bible study called To Live is Christ by Beth Moore. It's a daily bible study going into the life of the Apostle Paul. Wow, I can't believe how much I've learned about Paul and his ministry in the last two months. A neat concept I learned the other night is that Paul supported himself from city to city with making tents (his profession was being a tentmaker). Missionaries now get through customs in many countries that don't allow missionaries by putting 'tentmaker' as their profession. That word in the Christian community means missionary. Very cool.

I also just finished reading Atonement by Ian Mcewan. The movie has gotten great reviews and I enjoy reading the book before seeing the movie. The author is an incredible writer using the best imagery I have ever read. At the same time an entire page describing something gets a little tedious. But, it is an amazing read and I can't wait to see the movie (when it comes to DVD).
I also recently finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman. After renting and watching the movie I found out that it was based from a book. I then checked it out of the library and quickly read it. It is very different from the movie which we loved but the book was still a fun read. Fantasies are usually enjoyable.
What's on your nightstand and what do you think of it so far?

4 comments:

Once Upon a Dream... said...

Hey Christy!

I'm doing a Bible study called Stepping Up by Beth Moore. It's my first Beth Moore Bible study, and I'm absolutely blown away with how much I've learn in such a little time. It's a daily bible study about the 15 Psalms of Ascent (Ps. 120-134). I'm really hoping to get to take another Beth Moore Bible study after this one is over.

I'm also reading the Christian fiction novel, Eyes of Elisha by Brandilyn Collins. I just started it last night and I've only read 20 pages, but someone has already been murdered. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I enjoyed Bradilyn's first 3 books from her Kanner Lake series. I read Brandilyn's blog: http://www.forensicsandfaith.blogspot.com/

I recently finished reading two e-books by Erica Johns: Supermom's Simple Guide to Healthier Eating for Beginners and Beyond and Supermom's Simple Guide to Super Salads. I really enjoyed them both. I wrote reviews of them on my two blogs. Here are the links:

http://airforcefamily2007.blogspot.com/2008/02/supermoms-simple-guide-to-healthier.html

http://goddessofthehome.blogspot.com/2008/02/supermoms-simple-guide-to-super-salads.html

Sadly, I have really done alot of reading this year, but I'm starting to.

Have a great day!

Eden

KBG said...

My nightstand is holding the novel I'm currently reading Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult, and the memoir I just finished reading, Another Bullsh*t Night in Suck City by (???) Flynn. I loved the memoir, but I'm not so into the novel.

Jill said...

I have two books on my nightstand. . "Empty Cradle, Broken Heart" by Deborah L. Davis- which is about surviving the death of your baby and "Rhett's Butler's People" by by Donald McCaig - which is about Rhett Butler's life from Gone with the Wind. Both are great books so far!!

Just the Sous Chef said...

Oh, I want that first one you posted about. Great tip! My nightstand right now only has the recent Parenting magazine and a small book given to me a couple day ago - "What little girls are made of". But I think I will order the one you suggested on Amazon today!