Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Car Seat Saga
We love Etta's Britax Marathon and have been pondering what we are going to do when Chloe needs to upgrade from her infant car seat. The thought of spending $219 (and that's the cheapest we can find!) on another convertible car seat, then having to buy two booster seats even further in the future, has been weighing on my mind.
Here is Etta at 13 months in her car seat. Not the best picture, but the only one of her in the Britax.
Several months ago I saw a Cosco Alpha Omega Elite 3-in-1 Car Seat at Costco for about $140. It can be used as an infant seat, convertible seat, then a booster. Wow, that's pretty good for $140. I went online and read some reviews on it and lots of people complained about it as an infant seat but seemed to really like it as a convertible and booster seat. Hmmm, sounds good to me. I wanted to sit on it for a little while, especially since we had a few more months before Chloe will need the upgrade.
Last month I saw an add on craigslist for a Britax Roundabout Cowmooflouge for $50! I emailed and said we'd like to get it (can't beat that deal). She emailed back and said it was still available and I emailed back asking when we could pick it up. It was in Salinas which is about a 30 minute drive which is a pain to do by myself with both the girls. Anyway, we went to our neighbors for dinner and when we got home that evening I had an email saying someone else had come to pick it up already. Argg. We missed a really good opportunity to get a great car seat. Oh well, I'll just go to Costco and pick up the 3 in 1 car seat.
Next time I went to Costco there were no more car seats. So, we've just been waiting for an opportunity to arise. I've been keeping my eyes on Craigslist.com and ebay.com but haven't found anything. Then I went to the website where were ordered Etta's Britax and found the Cosco 3 in 1 on sale from $159.99 to $89.99. That's way cheaper than buying it from Costco. I know the shipping was free for the Britax but was worried that it would cost a bundle to ship it but came to only $5 (if you spend more than $100 shipping is free). We should have the new car seat in the coming week. I haven't decided if we'll upgrade Etta into the new car seat or let her keep the Britax. Seeing that she'll need to upgrade to a booster seat first I'm thinking the Cosco car seat will be hers and let Chloe have the Britax.
We'll let you know what we think of it once we have it and use it. What kind of car seat do you use and do you recommend it? We'll still have to buy a booster seat for Chloe in the future (unless Etta moves out of the booster before Chloe needs it).

1 comment:

Just the Sous Chef said...

I love our Britax too but also hate the price tag. I have a little longer to our little girl arrives and needs a new car seat ... maybe I should start putting a word into her Grandparents, LOL! Let me know how you like the new one! xxoo