Sunday, July 15, 2007

Welcome Chloe Grace. Labor...or Not?

Leaving for the hospital

We left for the the hospital a little before seven Friday morning. We were ushered into their largest room in the Birthing Center of Community Hospital of Monterey Peninsula and was told that would be my room during my entire stay. The room was equipped with a futon, table and chairs, TV, VCR, DVD, and a bathroom full of Bath and Body Works products. Wow, I feel almost VIP.
Getting settled into my room

After about an hour or so of just getting stuff ready the nurse physically checked me out and I was already dilated to 6cm. Well, they were worried I would go into labor by myself while my OB, Dr. Ramseur, was in surgery. My wonderful nurse got me hooked up and gave me a little pitocin to get contractions going (I wasn't having any contractions at that point). She monitored me for the next hour checking on how my contractions where coming. I was having them every 10 minutes by that point and they weren't feeling bad at all. By about 10am she advised me to get an epidural of I may not have enough time to get one put in by the time I needed it or went into labor. Once the epidural was in, my contractions where coming about every 5 minutes and I was about 7 cm dilated.
Am I in labor?

Things were kept steady until about 1:30 pm when my doctor came in to check me. I was dilated to 9cm by then and hadn't ruptured my membranes. My doctor then did so and left the room to do some paperwork. Twenty minutes later or so he came back to check on me and said I was ready to push (turns out I was already crowning). They spent the next few minutes getting everything ready for me to push. At 1:58 a contraction started and they had me push twice and her head was out. He asked if I was able to push one more time during that contraction so I did and the rest of her came out. Chloe was born at 2:01pm. My first words were, "I could do that again!". The nurses just looked at me and said that was the first time they have ever heard that.
Eric was able to cut the cord this time since it wasn't wrapped around a neck! They immediately put her on my chest (ew) and started cleaning her up. She was purple so they took her away pretty quickly to give her some oxygen. They said that since labor was so quick that her lungs weren't cleared out very well. After she turned pink they were able to get her measured. She weighed 6lbs 3oz, 19 inches long, red hair (well duh), and of course blue eyes for now.
Chloe and Mom meet for the first time
Mom, Dad, and Chloe

She had to stay in the nursery for the first day while they observed her lungs. She was coughing and wheezing a bit the first day as well as spitting up a lot. The nurses told me she was obviously getting a lot of colostrum and couldn't hold it all in her tummy and was spitting some up after each feeding. She was able to stay in my room from then on which was nice. I had a hard time recovering this time. My right leg was numb for hours, I couldn't pick it up or put weight on it until that evening. My anesthesiologist told me that the medication was obviously close to that nerve and just took longer to wear off. My contractions during labor were never bad (praise lord) but the contractions my uterus went through after labor were excruciating. They originally gave me vicadin for the pain but that gave me horrible headaches. Next they gave me darbacet (not sure of the spelling) but that made me feel drugged up and couldn't function on my own. Turns out I just had to bare the pain.
Chloe is doing wonderfully. She's a great nurser which is the complete opposite from my experience with Etta. We got home this afternoon and I was in need of sleep since Chloe didn't sleep much last night. Luckily mom agreed to hold and love on Chloe while Etta and I both had naps this afternoon. Ahhh, I feel so much better. I'm so nervous about our first full night home. Eric has to go back to school tomorrow so I won't get help from him but my mom said she would help if she could. Not much for her to do since I'm breast feeding. That's one benefit of bottle feeding. Once she's a little older I'd love to have Eric help out once in awhile with a bottle.
Eric and his two girls
a little cross eyed
Grandma Pam and Chloe
Leaving the hospital
Etta missed mommy
I just want to thank everyone for their prayers the past 4 weeks. It has been tough sitting and waiting for her to come but it was nice that she was able to stay inside for as long as she did. Our families have been extremely gracious with their time and help. If only I could have help for the next year! Ok, I'll manage, other women can do it so can I! Hope everyone enjoyed the pictures. If you have any questions, let me know. I'm sure I left out a bunch of stuff.

7 comments:

Lysandra said...

Oh my gosh! How beautiful! She is so cute and I love the one of Etta giving you kisses. I can't wait to have another one....ok I can. But when it happens it will be nice. Good luck getting readjusted to life at home.

melissa said...

awwww congrats again she's adorable i want to see her red hair lol i love red heads. i bet etta is going to be a wonderful big sister good luck with everything i cant wait to see more pics on the baby site :)

melissa lilcutie79

Tara said...

Christy, congratulations! I am so happy to hear that you had a good delivery and Chloe is healthy. She is beautiful!! You have such a beautiful family! God bless you!

Jill said...

Congratulations!!! I am glad everyone is at home and healthy. So cute little miss Chloe is!! Make sure you are getting enough sleep!! ;)

FYI, I sent baby Chloe something today in the mail.

Cams said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for all of you, especially that labor.... how did you do it that easy?=)
Don't worry about adjusting, you will do great, just take it one day at a time, just as with everything.
Keep the pics coming.=) You know I love to see your beautiful Etta, and can't wait to see more of Chloe.

She-Devil said...

A huge congratulations from Russia!! Just a beautiful baby...Welcome to the world, Chloe!

Lysandra said...

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!!