Saturday, September 30, 2006

It's All Jill's Fault

Several years ago my life was just fine, and then Jill had to introduce me to Fandango Day Spa in Phoenix. I got my first pedicure there and I was hooked. Soon I started getting manicures, massages, dyeing my eyebrows, and eye lashes (you’d understand if you’ve ever seen me without makeup). Most of you know that I don’t live in Phoenix anymore and have no Fandango Day Spa here in Vegas. Eric found an Aveda not too far away that I’ve gone to several times but they are much more expensive for relatively the same product as Fandango (10% off for military though!). However, it is nice to get pampered occasionally and Eric tells me to have ‘me time’ every once in awhile. It’s also nice that I’ve been given a couple gift certificates to Aveda as well. Anyway, to the real story. We just bought tickets to see Phantom of the Opera next weekend and my first thought was that I needed to get my nails done. I’m sure this is where Eric rolled his eyes. Since it’s already the weekend I figured there was no chance of getting an appointment at Aveda and Eric is working late all week. Eric pointed out that there are nail places on every corner and I told him that they aren’t the same as what I’m used too. Another eye rolling from Eric (of course I never see it; I can only imagine he’s doing this). Fine, I’m desperate. I told him I’d check the one by Wal-Mart first then the other two across the street next to Albertsons. I walked into Sweet Nails and my first thought, “It’s the nail smell; not a good sign. But…I’m here and I need my nails done!” All the little ladies (and a couple of little guys) were busy working on nails. One lady asked what I needed to get done and I said a pedicure. She said it would be another five to ten minutes and to pick out my color. Next sign to leave was the old nail polish on the huge rack. Some looked as old as my silver nail polish from prom (since writing I have disposed of it)! I found a newer looking OPI color that wasn’t as thick as molasses. Since everything was so cheap I figured I should get a French manicure while I was there. Unfortunately the lady didn’t speak much English so I was stuck reading a magazine from April. Tons of other things to joke about but I don’t want to offend anyone so I’ll just keep it to myself.
It’s not like they did a bad job, but it’s more like you get what you pay for. I have pretty toes and finger nails now but when I go to a nice day spa, they work on my feet so they are as soft as silk. My feet soak in oil scented water at the perfect temperature than are messaged with beautifully scented oil. It’s like comparing a filet mignon to a crab stuffed filet mignon with whisky peppercorn sauce. They are both good, but one is just way better. Of course Eric saw my nails and said they looked really nice. He wanted to know how much it cost and mentioned how much cheaper they are than Aveda. I’m not sure if I convince him of the differences between the two are unless he went into the stores and saw for himself. So, needless to say, I blame Jill for all this! Regardless of all the pain and trauma (yeah yeah, what a rough life I lead), now that I’ve had manicures, pedicures, messages, and what not, there is no turning back now!

4 comments:

Lysandra said...

I know how you feel. I miss Gaddabout in Tucson. No one does facials as well as they do. I miss that. I also miss just being able to schedule one whenever...now I kinda have to wait until Scott is around to watch the baby.

Christy said...

Now we can appreciate these little retreats since we have to plan so far in advance to have them!

Jill said...

Yes, it is my fault. . That is so weird I had the same experience on Friday. I needed a quick pedicure because we were going out of town so I went to a nail place in a shopping center. It was nice, but not a relaxing experience as Fandango. So I have decided there are two types of pedicures--ones for fashion and ones for relaxation. I think every other time I will switch.

Christy said...

Jill, I told Eric the exact same thing. I'm sure he's happy to hear that I'll occasionally spend less money going to the cheaper place every once in awhile.