Monday, September 18, 2006

Adding to the Family

I’m mainly writing this because it’s on my mind and it feels good to write it out and think about it more. Eric and I definitely want another child, but our question is whether to have another ourselves or adopt? Since early in our marriage we both agreed that we would be open for adoption. There are so many children brought into the world that are not wanted and we want to help. This leads to another question: Do we adopt an infant or do we adopt a child in foster care looking for a permanent home? It seems like adopting an infant would be the easiest thing to do, but pretty costly. However, there are so many children that are stuck in foster homes because no one wants to adopt them. It just seems like the right thing to do to adopt them. However, taking on an eight or ten your old may present a bit of a problem since neither Eric nor I have much experience with that age group. Some of the children waiting to be adopted in Nevada have serious health issues as well and would require life long help. I’m not sure if I am ready for that change over night. Is that selfish of me? I pray that God will lead us in the right direction because it is heavy on my heart. If anyone has experience themselves or with friends that have adopted, I’d love to hear your/their story.

2 comments:

Lysandra said...

We too contemplated adoption but just couldn't right now. We are going to start trying in a few weeks and if it doesn't work out in 2 years we are going to start the adoptions process. I hope you come to the decision that is right for your family. I know whatever you decide it will work out how it's suppose to.

Christy said...

hey Lysandra, we decided to go ahead and try for awhile. We'll see if any happens!